GDTF Forum

Create GDTF fixture from MA2 and CAD

iLevac

Hi,

It's my first time playing with GDTF. I'm doing a show with an MA3 and I would like to have the best fixture profile and have a working 3D as well. The solution is simple; use GDTF fixture profile.

However, most of the fixture type I'm using don't have a profile in the library yet. I'm trying to built the profile, but it's gonna take forever to do it by hand. I was wondering if there is a way to import the fixture profile from an MA2, to have at least the dmx part done? For the 3D, most of the manufacturer give a DWG, but I assume converting to 3DS isn't a big deal. As of photometric information, is there a way to import this data from common photometric files (IES, LDT)?

Regards,

iLevac

Hello and welcome,

i would suggest that you contact the device manufacturer and ask for GDTF from them. What GDTF provides them is a  tool do create the file, distribution platform, documentation about the format, documentation about files creation and so on. You could make the files yourself, but then the device manufacturer never knows that there is a need for GDTFs. As far as converting MA2 to a basic GDTF structure, i am not aware of such tool. Given product similarities, i would think it might be more interesting to start from and existing GDTF file for a device from the same manufacturer + product category and modify it for the required device. As for the 3D, convert it to glb, rather then 3DS.

Hope this helps

Petr

I would happily do the GDTF fixture profile and then share it online with both the manufacturer and the community. I feel like asking the manufacturer will take a very long time, but I will give a try. That's unfortunate that manufacturer have better tool than user to create those fixture profile.

I do usually start with a profile that do exist and edit it, but with the online GDTF builder, it's quite limited, I cannot import the DMX profile only or download, edit via a txt or xml file and them upload it back to GDTF. That would be so much more easy if there was a way to edit via text since with the webui that will take forever.

Thanks for the info

iLevac

39 minutes ago, iLevac said:

I would happily do the GDTF fixture profile and then share it online with both the manufacturer and the community. I feel like asking the manufacturer will take a very long time, but I will give a try. That's unfortunate that manufacturer have better tool than user to create those fixture profile.

I do usually start with a profile that do exist and edit it, but with the online GDTF builder, it's quite limited, I cannot import the DMX profile only or download, edit via a txt or xml file and them upload it back to GDTF. That would be so much more easy if there was a way to edit via text since with the webui that will take forever.

Thanks for the info

iLevac

Manufacturers have the same tool you have - the Builder, here. GDTF is just a zipped folder, you can open it and edit the description.xml by hand or by custom tools...