GDTF Forum

Shapers/Framing - First GDTF File

Tim Waclawek

Hallo,

i just started to create my first GDTF-File.

I really like the idea of GDTF and MVR. If the formats get their way in our working tools, then we all can benefit from better workflows with hopefully less converting and importing/exporting  dwg,3ds,vwx,csv,xml... to exchange data. 

Have my design, do it in my cad, exchange it with someone, put one file out and load it in my console with everything in it, that i need and even backwards, sounds like more time for design or having a beer earlier;)

But with erverything there is a point to start...

I first start creating a LED-Profiler. I took the ETC Lustr2 with a 25-50deg tube.

I created a 3d model in vectorworks from ETC data and exported the things which shell be separaded in diffrent 3ds: Clamp (as fix rigpoint), hanger (for virtual pan), Lamphead (for virtual tilt) and tube (to attached at lamphead and to put the "beam" (lightsource) in it and to easily exchange tubes later, when creating the same fixture for diffrent optics.

I created a gdtf with the fixturebuilder which is a great and easy to use tool.

Because  i work often with a similar rig of conventionals in theatre, i like the possibility of focusing them virtual in 3d.

This works great with position in MA3. I put the file for testing in a console and is working great for dimmer, colormixing (hue,sat) and virtual pan/tilt. For pan tilt i can do presets, for visualize and kind of documentation needs. Thats great.

For the next step in the gdtf i would like to create Shapers, which i would like to add virtual too.

Is it possible by now to implement the shapers and how could i do it correctly? 

For example: to which geometry it must be linked? Beam....

Is it possible do visualize it by now in MA3 ?

All the movers with shapers i tested to have a template, did not visualize shapers in MA3. 

Best regards,

Tim Waclawek

Tim@tw-preproduction.services

Gonna be up to MA International to get MA3 3D space rendering all the data....I think to get these objects rendering/functioning...

Interesting about 'virtual Pan/Tilt' Tim, this works in MA3 without DMX channel assignment?  By giving the geometry the appropriate 'helper'/tag and locating it correctly in 3D space upon Importing.  My ETC Source 4 ERS is based upon this concept which worked great in MA2 3D, I could drive the fixture's helpers in the MA3D interface; seems those days are gone with MA3 3D....unless they work, 'out of box' by utilizing the GDTF paradigm.

Hi Rex,

yes when you make the geometry in the fixturebuilder in the way like a mover: base(clamp)-yoke(hanker)-head and just assign yoke and head as axes. Then you could add pan and tilt in the dmxtab and instead of 8bit 16bit...you choose virtual and when you load it in the MA3 Software you can focus the fixture without the need of dmx and even store this virtualdata to presets.

What im wondering was, if we need a special geometry for the frameing  or can we just take the blade(n)attributes and link to beam for example . But where we can do the physics in GDTF for that, like position of blades (top,left...), how far they can move into the beam, and rotation limits(like degree for axes)? Like a realworld fixture.

The other part of course is what the visualizer (for example Ma3-3D) does with this data of the gdtf and if its supported by now.

Just checked for myself in MA3...

Thanks, mate, my models and the GDTF file that I wrote for it works great with virtual attributes!  Just need to get my gobos in the MA3 asset tree and they should render on my vGoboWheel I put on the fixture as well, nice they're allowing 'virtual' attributes to render with no DMX waste.  My vPan and vTilt work just fine and now they work with the console encoders as well!!!  Just have to remember; they get cleared with all other commands in the desk and should have their focus positions stored as a Preset to keep them 'static'.  Seems no way of interacting with the 3D environment as we did in MA2 to have this work, too bad....

For 'Blades' I found with the existing MA2 scheme that all you needed to do was give the attribute to the fixtureType and the MA2 internal 3D engine automagically did the rendering to the profile's attribute.  Blade seemed to have it origin of rotation to be center of blade on the 'inner side' of the blade.

Edited by David "Rex" Whalen