GDTF Forum

how to create multple beams on a single object

NRG Sille

Hello there,

wonder how it is possible to create multiple beams on one model/geometry. It seems that every beam has to assigned to a seperate geometry. I tried to create a ring of beams but this reults in a warning, that the base model always have to be in the center. Any ideas or workarounds for this?

Hi NRG Sille,

>but if I leave the reference without a patch

if you do not patch the beam geometry, visualizers will need to instantiate it and give it an intensity by the grand master, which the user will not be able to dim down...

>It seems that every beam has to assigned to a seperate geometry.

You would typically do a reference geometry.

Cheers

P.

I tried to create a ring of beams but this reults in a warning, that the base model always have to be in the center.

Where is the DIM [dmx] attribute located in the fixture?  Sounds like you want to create a 'blinder' or multi-patch fixture; where there are multiple beams under the control of a single attribute?  I can create a 'blinder' that does not toss any errors on geometry placement...

MA3 reads this fixture/profile as a 'multi-patch' fixture, single DMX channel controls multiple Beam objects within the fixture, no sub-fixutres.  Now, there is some very goofy offsets if you use multiple models to represent multiple parts.  I generated this fixture by only using the 2 models within a default Conventional GDTF profile.  Got a simple audience BLINDER which renders in MA3 off of a GDTF formatted file.  GM master controls every Beam object within the single Fixture visualization...

You would typically do a reference geometry.

I normally do use Geometry References when constructing subFixture profiles[multiple channels of single Attribute], but simply utilizing another 'Geometry' object to accept the DMX from the Body and visualize, all seems to work out nicely and logically.  Same Attribute[DIM] to a Parent Geometry, place multiple children Geometries, seems to create multiple copies of same Attribute--exactly what a multi-Patch[MA2] fixture represents when visualized.  I wish MA2 understood what a piece of Geometry/Model can be used multiple times within a profile for...

What fixture are you attempting to profile in GDTF?

MultiPatch.thumb.jpg.c13d225ab9e04c418532488d23dc13b2.jpg

Here's an image of how it renders in MA3.  Single Body, multiple Beams, all have Same FID, 613.  These are in a line configuration, but just as simple to create a 'ring' of Beams on a single fixture, all from same Attribute.

Rex

Kinda nice seeing the FID on each beam object, ?  Good work GDTF Team; Attributes 'falling through' to children objects; again, seems logical to Rex?, !

Hello all,

I found out how to do it - I have to create a parent object for the references, so it wont create seperate modules anymore. Is it possible to create a parent object without a model?

By creating a ring of beams, I want to prevent to have geometry in the center.

I'd say, "NO", you cannot move the Root Object/Top Level Object away from World Origin. Give that Geometry/Model a Size of 0,0,0--Quick and dirty 'Gaming Hack' to have something needed within the Scene, without it rendering....placeholder for a 'Parent'....as long as it works; Rex doesn't care about semantics....or utilize the "Body"/Normal Geometry as a starting point.  Alter the Size BEFORE you Parent the objects together[in Model Tab], ahem, or you may make the entire object non-rendering, Child/Leaf objects tend to follow their parent object in Scale,Position,Rotation...typical 3D 'math'...LOL, once they're parented/nested.

Seems you'll always need a Root 'placeholder' Normal Geometry model/object to avoid the "Can not move/rotate Base object" prompt, as it's from which all the other dimensions are derived.  Makes sense; need some sort of Zero Reference Point/COM.....to start things going.

Hi all,

the origin of the GDTF file defines its insertion point. The specification does not prohibit to move the top-level geometry away from the origin. But it will maybe confuse the user if the object is not inserted at the position he expected because of an offset of the parent geometry object.

It is possible to have a geometry without a model linked. The current version of the GDTF builder does not support this yet. The next version will do!

Cheers,

Daniel