GDTF Forum

GDTF 3D to MA2

davidg

Hello everyone,

Do the 3D models built in the fixture builder transfer over when imported into MA2?   For example, The Robe Tetra has a 3d symbol that works on MA3. Wouldn't the same 3d symbol work when imported in MA2?

I don't believe the MA2 reads the GDTF format so you could not use that '3D' symbol[lost on what you mean by that]; I could be wrong, I didn't install v3.8 of MA2.  MA3[which I have loaded onto a machine], will read MA2 fixture profile files but I believe they need to be exported to MA3 format, not 100% certain of that.  I do know that there is a new file type of the .XML we used to have in MA2, pxml. it is now...proprietary xml perhaps?  Used to be XMLP, lol....

The same 3DS model representing the fixture; yes those do not change and it does follow along inside a nested folder within the GDTF file, but not for MA2 consumption.  The models are the same; 3DS files, it's in how the MA engine reads them as a profile, that is how it will or won't render or load as a fixture.

MA2 needs to read 3D assets out of it's proprietary gmamedia database format....still a 3DS model, but nested inside the database for MA2 to read and render.

Edited by David "Rex" Whalen

Hey Y'all!

I just tried the GDTF to MA2 converter on the MA-Fixture Share and it seemed to work realy well! Minus one thing....the Lamp does not seem to follow suit....hmm....@dmueller is this something we can look into? 

My 3D models followed and got parented out correctly in the file test using MA2 v3.8.0.0, everything worked as expected minus the output of the fixture. So, if you would like to use 3D models for MA2 from a GDTF file, just simply use the upload feature of the site https://fixtureshare.malighting.com/?page=upload, we will keep following up about the lamp output portion.

The upload takes a minute I'm assuming because it needs to be run through the converter script on the server, but, it seemed to be fine for me!

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

MattG

@davidg

So, I tested out some of my multi instance fixtures and the result is the same. I believe what is happening is the way that the multi instance models are structured in GDTF with the new parenting structure and reference structure, that there's no definitive way for the converter to depict the correct geometry for the base and other parts and pieces of it. All of the DMX is coming over correctly, but, like @David "Rex" Whalen said above, without MA2 being able to decipher the model in which MA2 is use to seeing, it seems to only be assinging the lens of the object because this is the object that the reference is using. Without another reference in the topology referencing the base/yoke/head, it can't bring them in and assign them. This is correct for MA3 and other control consoles as this is the new structure. 

In regards to "simple" fixtures to where the topology is all one tree with no references, the models track correctly. As this is an MA Lighting "issue", which it's not really an issue but just how the software is written, there's not much that can be done from the GDTF side of things. @dmuellercorrect me if I'm wrong and speaking incorrectly.

I hope this helps! 

Cheers!

MattG

For things to parent 'correctly' inside MA2 and render correctly, you may need some specific Geometry Helpers in your base model for things to offset in a visually correct way.  Perhaps if you build the GDTF fixture as you do a MA2 fixture needing parenting, you'll get a more visual result/solution...haven't tried it yet; but it's something I've been postulating inside the ole 'hardhat',;), if you know what I mean...as I consider what renders in MA2/MA3 and how fixtures are constructed with regards to 'helpers'.  GDTF would seemingly make strange modeling constructs unnecessary moving forward in how we describe 'fixtures' when they render...

If your target is MA2, I'd write the file in 1.5 FixtureBuilder or in a MA2 emulation/onPC...beat the Christmas rush, as it were and I often say.  'Conversion' most often does not parse 100%.

Until all console manufacturers get in line with the evolving GDTF; it's a matter of keeping the 2 things separate,  as we did when using custom models and Multi-Instance fixtures between v3.1.2.5 and 3.2+ and adjust accordingly. M'eh, what ya gonna do?

• 1 year later...

Hello,
Let me come back to this topic, it is now possible to transfer a gdtf to a MA2 fixture while keeping a functional 3D, only for products with a single emitter however, my question is:

- is it planned to do the same with multi instances ?

Edited by AyrtonTerrier