GDTF Forum

Whip/Positional Tag

Jweston

Hey JWeston,

There's different ways to notate a position tag but it really depends on if the fixture is tested in real world against the 3D model to ensure that the position tag is correct. To have a reference point, one could easily use a cube object adjust the sizing and child it under the "Base" and then the yoke Axis can then be childed under that position tag and so on and so forth for the rest of the model buildout. If users are creating 3D models and importing them, then they would just have it all in the same model I would think.

Did this help?

Cheers!

MattG

There is a Model 'type' that defines a fixture's 'whip'/power input cord.....called "Pigtail", under Geometry--Primitives--Pigtail.  That should be enough?  I doubt that there will be an Attribute for that however[Fixture Orientation??]...I could be wrong?!?  Build your 3D models to real world fixture behavior, some Yokes are 90 degrees offset from 'Pigtail' position, some aren't.  I know I always ask the Programmer how they prefer the fixtures positioned.

• Like 1

Yes, orientation of the axis is given, which allows for moving heads but also for moving mirrors to work. We clarify this a bit more in 1.1 for moving mirrors (scanners). The pigtail position then indicates the real (cable connection) position, giving you the true orientation of the device. See our fixtures, their pigtail is in correct place in relation to pan/tilt movement. Also the SilverScan works well in visualizers, thanks to it's default "stand up" orientation, aligning the axes "correctly".

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2020 at 7:43 AM, LWernlund said:

Presumably all axis geometries are to be drawn at "home" / 50% position, which means that fixtures with a base that will not orient at a multiple of 90 degrees when the yoke is homed should have their base drawn at an angle, correct?

/ Lars

>Presumably all axis geometries are to be drawn at "home"

Hmm, we should probably specify, so it is clarified, rather then presumed.

The orientation of yoke to base is important, as you say. But the orientation (not position, that is important) of the base in the 3D space does not really matter in my understanding as long as the pigtail indicates it's "true" orientation (front/back).

>should have their base drawn at an angle

Either the base of the yoke. Their relation to each other is important.

I agree that so long as the pigtail indicates the "true" orientation things will be good.

I understand that say a VL homes up 90 off from most fixtures, so I normally want to "orient" those fixture with the pigtail going to side stage.

Ultimately my current struggle with previz fixtures is that getting orientation in relation to real life is an absolute struggle. Sometimes pig tail information is incorrect, dmx values are inverted to correct for wrong pigtail locations, or many other factors.

To me I value this ability to orient a fixture matching its real world counterpart more than anything else. Half the time a show must revert to a previz file to get correct fixture orientations. Or I spend my entire day trying to confirm fixture orientations match from previz to the real world (then toss in the ability to invert values at both a console and the fixture... good times)

Seems a database of ALL fixture's Home positions/vectors would be helpful[Carallon??  I know their data in MA sometimes is wonky]...was so much easier in the days of only 2 Moving Head fixture manufacturers, lol...I worked for both, lucky I was in my youth.  Now, there are so many developers of 'moving' fixtures/devices; it's time consuming to keep all the possibilities updated--obtain manuals--shop loaner fixtures--etc... 

There doesn't seem to be too many ways to orientate a "base"[whip/arrow/REFERENCEpoint] in relation to the Yoke's vector of travel, if the yokes all must be instantiated in the X+ vector as a default for the rendering/visualization/assembly.  I appreciate that type of standardization.  I will check the full DMX travel range to input value as well.  Some fixtures, with no data applied, Home to DMX0...then I apply DMX from 0-FULL and notate the directions of travel, again, not many options; either/or.

I just wish all of this data actually came from the Manufacturers and was exposed in the manuals...