GDTF Forum

Fixture Builder = Good Job!

David "Rex" Whalen

The V 1.0 of the format and the Fixture Builder looks great!  Seems intuitive and I really love the visualization while you build!!  Also the ability to embed your custom 3DS files is appreciated!  Love to know how 'pivots' are handled, seems as though World Origin is used as the reference....

Thanks from all of us out here!

Rex

It does help, thanks!  I hadn't seen the updates to the format wiki with the model building outline.  Some of the descriptions loose a little something in translation...I think, especially when describing the 'offsets' in model building.

I've just uploaded my very first simple GDTF profile to the Share site, a 16 bit Dimmer as a ETC Source4 19 degree ERS with custom models!  It took me a few attempts to get all the entry fields hooked up correctly...lol.  Good thing you can delete files, ;).

This was my testing of the waters...as it were.  Web based builder seemed fairly stable, had some issues with editing an existing profile/default fixtureType with custom models and naming the Geometry based upon the workflow...if I referenced/uploaded the model file first then linked the Geometry to the existing Model, I could not edit the Geometry 'Name', arrives as Geometry1, Geometry2, etc....  When I Added a Geometry, then named it "Body","Beam", then referenced the 3DS files, all things seems to link fine.

Also, in the DMX entries, if you edit a fixture to be 16 bit resolution and then all the channel sets and function sets to 16 bit to follow along, if you change Tabs to another step and then return to DMX, all the channel set 16 bit entry fields revert to 8 bit, except for the main Resolution at the head of the file.  Not sure if by simply adjusting the 'Resolution' to 16 bit then defaults all the channel sets and function sets to 16 as well, but entry fields read 8 bit.  That seemed odd, or I don't understand the paradigm for 'resolution' beyond 8 bit.

Thanks!! Cheers! Time to celebrate the inaugural visualization in GDTF!

Rex

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rex,

thank you very much for your feedback.

I tried to reproduce the issues you have mentioned regarding geometries. I created models called Base, Yoke, Head, Beam. After that I added geometries, named them and linked the models I had created. It worked fine for me. I was also able to define a name while creating the geometries and to rename the geometries and models afterwards.
Could you please describe more precisely what you did when it did not behave as expected.

Resolution: The DMX values in the GDTF file are exported to the file with the resolution that is set for the DMX channel. For example all DMX values of a DMX channel with a resolution of 16 bit are exported as x/2 to the file. 
Changing the resolution of the individual input fields only simplifies the input of values. 
At the moment the resolution of the input fields does not change if you switch between DMX channels, but the resolution of the input fields is reset to 8 bit if you change tabs. I guess the resolution should also be kept if I switch the tabs.

Kind regards,
Daniel