GDTF Forum

Download entire Library

szapo

I checked GDTF-Share a few months ago for the last time and noticed quite some changes to the website, e.g. the possibility to download the entire GDTF library at once. 

Is this function still available?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am working on a non-commercial software for lighting control that is planned to use GDTF as the main source for fixture personalities. Instead of having to download each personality on its own it would be great to have the full set of available files at hand and perform an offline search and patching of the desired fixture.  

@szapo @Enviral_Design

As a side note to this function, please keep in mind that downloading the entire library has the potential to cause problems as users can upload their own custom GDTF files that might not be supported by the manufacturer. As you can tell right now, there are a lot of test fixtures, user tests and manufacturer tests that are not correct or fully finished. I would recommend reaching out to manufacturers who are building and uploading to the share site to tell y'all which ones are done and ready. 

In my opinion yes, because the manufacturers are responsible for providing the correct information for their devices which should be the baseline for users and software. Now, if users decide to edit or make their own GDTF files which is perfectly fine then the software should of course be able to bring that in.

In my opinion, the software manufacturers looking to use GDTF should not be responsible for errors on the user side if the spec is not followed correctly. This creates an area of accountability and safety for Software's and manufacturers. If the users change or alter something, this now becomes an unverified file that the software developers and manufacturers cannot be responsible for. 

At the end of the day, these files aren't meant only for users, they're for everyone.

At this point, i do not think anybody else besides Robe has manufacturer's label, from what i can see.

Nice to see Arri and Ayerton now have these too, great!

Per my stats, the entire library is some ~850MB (with some possible duplicates in my data, i will take care of those in the future).