GDTF Forum

Download GDTF File Without Uploading

MattEBV

Is there a way to download the GDTF file made from the fixture builder without uploading it to the share site? The fixture is not fully complete and I would like to test it on our MA3 before to make sure it is working properly. 

• Like 1

You can delete the files you've uploaded...I've been doing this to remove early versions that are faulty in some way.

Build something, upload to parse it out, then delete the online result.  You still get the copy to your local drive...not elegant, but it works.  Then,Drop the .gdtf into the builder to view.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

It would be good to resolve this shortcoming very fast. A manufacturer is not likely to risk the details of a fixture that is not complete yet to be leaked onto the share.

It would also be nice to get a clarification whether any of the fixture data is actually stored server-side or not when using the editor (for the same reasons of confidential of fixtures not released to the market yet).

/ Lars

Edited by LWernlund
  • Like 1

I agree.  Proprietary content was why I began deleting versions of things I had uploaded; especially[& immediately] when I found that assets I had created were being used in similar profiles not uploaded by myself, without permission.  That must end...in my opinion.

This had me wondering about the concept's current/intended protocol.  I believe the intent was to have the actual manufacturers provide the stewardship of profiles for their proprietary equipment;  yet in current phase and practice, this leads to anyone to be able to upload a branded device's profile for the entire webiSphere to manipulate.

Cheers!

Edited by David "Rex" Whalen
punctuation error

...or at least restrict in some way, the actual 'brands' of fixture files as opposed to a GENERIC heading or the more appropriate, USERonly moniker.  In that way, only actual manufacturers can upload content for their brand names and everyone else can, if they choose, to dump into separate servers/locations??

Just a quick thought on the schema of things, looking a few steps ahead to avoid mis-steps/information, :classic_blink:...

7 hours ago, LWernlund said:

It would also be nice to get a clarification whether any of the fixture data is actually stored server-side or not when using the editor (for the same reasons of confidential of fixtures not released to the market yet).

The data in the editor is being processed server side on the builder backend. Not necessarily stored permanently, but there is the shorttime period when this happens. Nobody is watching this data, but from technical perspective, the server is involved.

At this point, there are discussions about how to make this better for manufacturers, but at the same time, we want to make sure that the free to use builder is also providing useful data back to users.

• 8 months later...

Dear @mdodge

thank you, appreciated you asked.

Not at this point yet, other work was being done to improve the share experience (advanced filtering, manufacturers/products landing pages...), and ongoing work is focused to the new upcoming builder. It is not always possible to draw and easy line in this particular scenario. So we are aware of the request, but no progress at the moment. Let me say that i would also not suggest that you learn how to use the builder on your brand new secret product, but rather get comfortable on some older devices, because there is quite a bit of getting used to, especially if you are used to "develop for DMX", rather then "for visualizers". Also, thanks to the copy/paste, once you have few complete devices, it can be very quick to copy/paste/modify channels into subsequent device.

cheers

Petr

• Like 1