GDTF Forum

No Beam in MA-3D

GreenManProductions

Hello,

I’m running into an issue where, for some reason, I can’t get MA3D to render a beam in Gobo (and upwards) render mode in the MA3 v1.4 for some of the GDTF-Fixtures I built.

However, you can still see the "lens" light up and change colour and in line and simple render modes a beam is still produced.
Weirdly, the same GDTF-Profiles have worked in previous MA-Software versions.
Only the fixtures with Gobos/Animations Wheels seem to be affected. Simple wash-fixtures still work fine.

The Robe fixtures also seem to work fine (I’ve tried the Mega Pointe, and Pointe in this instance). Which makes me think is probably an error on my part.

As a test, I tried to open an old fixture of mine (ClayPaky Axcor 900 in this case) in the GDTF-Builder and rebuilding the Gobo Channels, the Gobo-wheel and also removing all the “new” errors in the new builder and re-exporting it - without success.

I have compared it to the Mega Pointe in both the Builder as well as in the MA3 software, but I can’t see any differences.

I could imagine that it is an issue with the png’s. However, I cannot find any information on how the png needs to be, apart from max size. When I initially built the fixture, I tried to replicate the way the gobo.png’s are built in the mega point: 1024x1024, black and white with an alpha channel around the edges, and as I said, this worked fine previously.

I’m probably missing something obvious to make it work.

Thank you, best regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @GreenManProductions,

maybe you defined the beam as None? You can choose a beam type in the Builder → Geometry → geometry chain → Beam:

image.png.a796b481de898fabb3f2af5b326f8e71.png

The BeamType describes how the Beam will be rendered.
— “Wash” – A conical beam with soft edges.
— “Spot” – A conical beam with hard edges.
— “Rectangle” – A pyramid-shaped beam with hard edges.
— “None” – No beam will be drawn, only the geometry itself will emit light.

Hope this helps,

Petr