GDTF Forum

16bit DMX channels

Hey Everyone

I'm looking for a little clarity on how to program 16bit channels.  I'm writing a profile with a 16bit channel(s) that control focus distance.  I know how to set the resolution and designate coarse and fine channel numbers, but I need to add additional attributes for pre-defined focus distances.  My DMX table gives me values from 0-512, but when I change the channel attribute from 8 to 16bit I'm prompted to enter values between 0-65535 and I'm just not super sure where to go from here.  is there any documentation/video resources someone can point me to on the topic? 

Thanks in advance!

Hello @CarlosDVS,

switching the input field between 8/16/24/32/% is just a view on how you enter the data. So by switching it to 8, you can enter your data in the 8bit, as per your DMX table... see for example here:

image.thumb.png.d4636e68bcc30a93d640162614bd011b.png

When switching between these values, you can see what you values look like in different resolutions or a percentage:

image.thumb.png.0c872285e2cad419d488dc9fb2409647.png

image.thumb.png.73f7abb8e3fd6eb104fd99185bbef77a.png

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CarlosDVS said:

@Petr Vanek - Robe Could you please expand a bit on the DMX values in 8bit mode and how its 2 numbers separated by a "/" (0/0, 128/0, 255/255)?

If the effect uses 2 channels (16bit) and you want to enter the data in 8bit fashion (0-255 values), you somehow have to define the value for the second channel. In the input field, the first value (from the left) is what you most likely have in your DMX table, the second value (after the slash "/"), is most typically will be 0 for you, except for 255, which will be 255/255 (to have full maximum value). Hope this helps. Maybe discuss this with your R&D people, to have more clarity if needed... they will be able to help you too.

cheers

Petr