GDTF Forum

Imporving Dmming range for visualisers

hawley3

Hi all,

I have created some custom GDTF RGBW LED fixtures for me to pixel mapping with using vision as the visualizer.

I am wanting to know how i can improve the range of intensity that I can see in Vision.

Currently the fixtures really don't show much difference between 10% and 100%

The RGBW fixtures do not have a master intensity and they are 8bit.

Is there any settings in the builder i should look at altering to make the dimming range visualize better?

ALHP@Tree_Branch@Version_1.1.gdtf

GDTF seems to provide metaData for visualizers to render...so if there is an obvious rendering issue in your visualizer, I would begin inquires at the rendering software sites..."Vision", et al; ask what they say about how their software is rendering the GDTF data....  It could be that your 'Physical Value' range is borked, but even if it's 0-1[DMX 0-255], there should be a curve over the encoder range of DMX values...just a quick thought without examining the provide example.

I'm using MA3, at the moment, to visualize the GDTF data...and at this point in MA3 builds, not all visualizing elements render; making it a tad tricky to sort through issues such as yours...DIM, PAN,TILT,GOBO[n],Color[N] seem to be all that MA3 can handle at the moment....have no experience with Vision and GDTF.

Good luck!

Hi,

So many things will affect your visualisation, including, but not limited to:

• The fixture's dimmer curve; how the 0-255 DMX signal maps to luminous intensity.
  • Whether the visualiser has an HDR rendering pipeline or not; without it all intensities will be haphazard.
  • Whether the visualiser applies any form of automatic exposure as that could counteract your dimming.
  • The tone mapping strategy chosen in the visualiser.
  • Whether the visualiser is aware of or set correctly for the colourspace of your monitor; different colour spaces apply different gamma curves.

You really need to speak with the developers of the visualiser as otherwise you stand no chance of getting it right.