GDTF Forum

Unable to import 3DS geometry file

etiles

Hi,

I'm unable to import a 3ds file : the file seems to be empty when imported in builder (I can see my object has 0 vertices)

However, the file is ok and I can load it in a 3D viewer.

Did I miss something related to file convention or limitations (units are ok (cm) by the way...) ? 

Thanks for your help,

2021-05-18_08h53_35.thumb.jpg.5b9a0a8ddcf52e2f08c0f771a8beb721.jpg

Edited by etiles

It seems to be an issue with file convertion : in my original post, I created the mesh in blender, then exported to FBX, then open in 3dsMax and converted it to 3ds format.
In this way, the model doesn't import well in GDTF builder.

By exporting directly the file from blender into 3ds format (with i/o addon), it works as intended.

image.thumb.png.60d3adda3b01844f2e90573fd5a2f263.png

Edited by etiles

Hi Petr,

Here are some files :

- ViperBase.blend : the source file authored in blender (2.92.0)

- ViperBase_FbxConvertedInto3dsFromMax.3ds : I got this file by doing some conversions (Exported into FBX from blender / then imported it in MAX / then exported into 3DS from Max). This file does'nt work in gdtf_builder (works well in a 3rd party viewer by the way). I also upload the FBX version, if needed...

- ViperBase_3dsFromBlender.3ds : the file I exported from blender with the "io_scene_3ds" addon (https://github.com/blender/blender-addons-contrib/tree/master/io_scene_3ds); This file works fine in gdtf_builder.

Hope this helps you,

Cheers,

Etienne

ViperBase.blendViperBase_FbxConvertedInto3dsFromMax.3DSViperBase_FbxFromBlender.fbxViperBase_3dsFromBlender.3ds

I Imported the 'fromBlender' 3DS file and it appears in the UI for me, just incredibly small/tiny[.47,.34,.1] when the default mm units is displayed?  The dimensions are off, even with 'use file dimensions' is checked when I checked the 3DS file exported from C4D. When I input the correct values, the 3D model/Geometry scales up and is visible in the Scene...??  This is normal for any model I export outside the mm units preference in my modeling programs. I learned early to set my modeling program to what the web builder can easily digest...

When I manually input: 470, 340, 101 for X/Y/Z, the model now visualizes in the web builder.

Interact with the builder's entry fields and see what happens!

When I manually input: 470, 340, 101 for X/Y/Z, set my Export 3DS to mm, the model now visualizes in the web builder with no figgling with entry fields.

The 'from Max' model is not rendering at all for me..even with manually inputting dimensions??  Pfffttttt.....Max? my experience with funky plugins and Max leaves me not surprised with the result...just sayin'.

Good luck and good modeling!!

ViperBase_3dsFromBlenderC4D.3ds

Edited by David "Rex" Whalen

Hi David,
You're right for the dimensions. My blender is set to cm and builder imports with mm by default right? However, it's not a big deal to correct them manually.

The most weird issue here is the incompatibility with the "fromMax" model.

Anyway, since I'm a "blender" user, it's ok for me to export straightly from blender without to use MAX!! 

I've never utilized Blender, may have installed it once eons ago. I'm a C4D user and that is where I can set my Import/Export units...

LOL, not 'weird' to me at all, the jank coming out of Max with any plugin/modifier stack.  Ya, bypass Autodesk and find ANY other 3DS exporter!

...the issues are probably with the FBX handshake and back out again.  I do like FBX, but there seems to be so many flavours of it??  Enjoy!

Edited by David "Rex" Whalen

I reported the not loading file, the problem might be that three.js which we are using might not load it, which could be the issue. I did try another three.js based viewer and it worked, but the loader might be different under the hood there... we will see that the devs will have to say...

cheers

P.