GDTF Forum

Does GDTF specify layout within a channel?

synapse_gh

Hi all,

I've read through the documentation and may have missed this - does the GDTF standard specify how a given attribute should be laid out within a channel?

For example, on Shutter:

0-10 Shutter closed
11-20 Shutter open
21-60 Strobe synced, slow --> fast
61-100 Strobe random, slow --> fast
101-120 Pulse open, slow --> fast
121-140 Pulse closed, slow --> fast
141-235 Manufacturer's choice

It's something I've been hoping for for quite a while, would be great if GDTF solves it!

Hi Matt,

This looks like a great mechanism is provided to build out each channel, but I can't quite make out the image.

Is there any sort of standard for how functions are to be laid out within the channel? For example, on shutter, currently each manufacturer puts the "strobe random" function in a different part of the 0-255 range, which means those of us hopping from house rig to festival rig to tour rig are constantly updating palettes just to accomplish the same one thing.

If it's possible to get every GDTF fixture profile to put "strobe random" in the same part of the range, that would be amazing - or am I describing a feature that already exists?

Hey Synapse,

What your describing/hoping for is a function of the control platform i.e. MA3/MA2, Hog, Chamsys, etc etc to match the Channel functions for each fixture. GDTF is helping create a common naming scheme for all fixture types to handle this transaction easier so that when the operator needs to "clone" or get info from one fixture type to another it has a common name to look for. Asking anything to "re-map" DMX is not really a thing, at least from the GDTF side of things. I hope this helps!

Cheers!

MattG 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

best way to understand this is not to think about how you control it, but how will a visualizer know what to do. So you have Shutter open/closed, Strobe, Strobe Pulsing opening/closing etc. As each of these require different way to visualize, each requires a new Channel Function with it's attribute.

cheers

Petr