GDTF Forum

mgeasey@clearallvisualsllc.com

Continuous Pan/Tilt Functionality

Hi Matt,

do you men the current limitation to not spin the model all around? This is intentional, to allow good work with the model and is different then being able to define the pan/tilt range as 0-360° / -180°/+180°.

The builder is not really a visualizer. Sorry if i misunderstood.

cheers

Petr

Hey Petr!

Nah, I'm talking about the location that the Continuous attributes are defined, as they seem to be under control right now, which per manufacturers, those are not a control function, they are still defined as a position attribute. What is the thinking behind this for putting it in the control attribute? As of right now, certain visualizers will not read this as an option with where it is attribute wise. 

Yea, we all understand that the builder is not a visualizer, which should be addressed  because anyone can make anything right now, and say it's "good" without checking it unless you have access to a physical MA3 somewhere which seems to be the ONLY piece of software that can read GDTF files that has a visualizer.  Things can get outta control fast it feels right now haha! 

Thoughts?

image.thumb.png.6b13392653575b43dc78b23126226208.png

Hi Matt,

>Nah, I'm talking about the location that the Continuous attributes are defined, as they seem to be under control right now, which per manufacturers, those are not a control function, they are still defined as a position attribute.

The range of movement is in the PhysicalFrom/To attributes of channel functions:

<DMXChannel Geometry="Yoke" Default="128/1" Offset="1,2">
    <LogicalChannel Attribute="Pan">
        <ChannelFunction Attribute="Pan" DMXFrom="0/2" OriginalAttribute="Pan" PhysicalFrom="225.0" PhysicalTo="225.0" RealFade="3" Name="Pan">

Any channel can, through Mode Dependency, evoke another ChannelFunction with different PhysicalFrom/To range, e.g. 360°. We are also tracking a request to have a dedicated attribute to determine if rotation is +/- 180 , +/- 360° or continuous 360°.

I do not understand your second comment. We have been working on an open specification to actually allow people to make it possible to create visualizers, apps, control systems etc, or to use this data in already existing system. The builder is a tool to create GDTF files according to the GDTF specification, it is not an application to visualize the real result. I think the confusion here is free and open specification (free as in speech and beer) and free visualizers (free as free beer).

Hope this helps

Petr

Hey Petr!

Thanks for the response. This right here answered what I was looking for! 

3 hours ago, petrvanek said:

We are also tracking a request to have a dedicated attribute to determine if rotation is +/- 180 , +/- 360° or continuous 360°.

Disregard the second thing for now, it's a bigger picture topic that more light will get shed upon on hopefully in a week or so, but who doesn't love Free beer and wings!!! haha! 

Thanks for your thougts on this Petr! Hopefully one day we get to meet!

Cheers!

MattG

• Like 1

Hi MattG,

as Petr said we are tracking the request for attributes to describe continuous pan and tilt (and a set of other additional attributes). They are planned to be added with the next release of the GDTF specification.

Cheers,
Daniel